There are many reasons why you should be looking for the tourist information Lucca Italy.
If you have been to Florence Italy before, seeing the home of the famous Piazza Anfiteatro is the next best way of spending your day when docked in the port of Livorno.
Luckily, the famous Tuscan town of Pisa, Italy and its Leaning tower are right on the way, too, so you can combine both in only one day!
Booking one of the organized cruise line's shore excursions is far from being the only option of getting to both Pisa and Lucca.
Here at Mediterranean Cruise Ports Easy you will find the best tourist information Lucca Italy and different ways of transportation from your cruise ship.
We'll break them all down for you, give you all the pros and cons and help you best ways of getting from Livorno to Pisa and Lucca in a day.
There is probably no traveler in the world who hasn't heard of Pisa, one of the top destinations in Tuscany, but if you need the final push on why to visit it, read our article on Pisa Italy. On the other hand, the charming town of Lucca may be a little bit less known but is a must stop on any serious itinerary of the region. Here is some quick tourist information Lucca Italy, most visited for...
1) Le Mura di Lucca or the 4 km long walls that embrace the town and give interesting perspectives of the city below. Not only can you walk upon them, you can rent a bike and cycle their tree-lined paved pathway! That's how wide they are.
2) Guinigi tower, a 14th ct building that can be climbed to enjoy the great views of the town. It's very likely this is the only tower you'll ever climb and find trees growing on it.
3) Piazza Anfiteatro, originally a Roman amphitheater that seated 10,000 people. Later on, its elliptical shape got lined with buildings and private houses that now form a beautiful piazza full of shops, restaurants and cafes.
4) Lucca's Duomo or the Cattedrale di San Martino, a stunning gothic architecture and interesting artwork inside
5) Palazzo Pfanner, an enchanting 17th ct palace with well maintained gardens that lure in many a wandering tourist on a hot summer day.
Besides being the place where part of the Portrait of a Lady movie was shot, it is also famous for being owned by the Pfanner family and the man who first brought beer to Italy and brewed it in the palaces' cellars himself too.
And these are just some of the many other attractions this charming town has in store for you!
If you are searching for the best way of going from Livorno cruise port to Pisa and Lucca you must be juggling a few options in your mind.
In this tourist information Lucca Italy we'll break them down here for you, list all the pros and cons and offer the one that will take all the worry out of your day.
Dear cruisers, Gods of cruising and port transportation have heard your cries and starting with 2017 cruising season you will be able to see both Pisa and Lucca in a day with a minimal hassle and for a minimal charge.
Tuscanybus.com, the Livorno transportation company that already offers bus trips from Livorno to Florence and Livorno to Florence and Pisa, are now starting a new bus line for cruisers only: the one that involves both Pisa and Lucca.
This option is as easy and practical as a shore excursion or a private tour and as affordable as a train.
It would actually equal your cruise line's Pisa and Lucca On Your Own tour, the only difference being it departs from the centre of Livorno.
Its departures and arrivals are conveniently suited to your ship's timetable, too!
It is only in the event of unforeseen circumstances, such as bad traffic conditions that the passengers will be accompanied directly to their ship.
Just like with Livorno to Florence only, the seats on the bus are limited and sell in no time (especially when there are two or three ships in port on the same day so make sure you book yours ahead of time with our contact form below.
Should you have more than 8 people in your party who want to travel to Pisa and Florence, you can also contact tuscanybus.com with the form below and inquire about renting out a mini-bus!
Tuscanybus normally operates every day the cruise ship is in port. However, the exact dates are still being planned for so please use the contact form below to inquire about your specific date.
So go ahead right now, shoot them a quick email to book your seats in time and tell them:
1) Pisa and Lucca Shore Excursions: taking one of the ship organized day or half-day trips has its advantages, of course: you can put your brain on sleep mode. The only 2 problems with them are: to catch them on time and high pricing. If you are at least a little bit independent and don't like to be herded around you will save lots of money if you go with a DIY option.
2) Taxi from Livorno to Pisa and Lucca: The distance from Livorno to Lucca is some 53 km (32 miles), which is a 40 minute drive. The price of an official taxi that would actually meter your ride would be some 87 euros for a one way trip. If you try to arrange the ride with one of the taxi drives inside the Livorno port, with a limited wait in Lucca and then again Pisa on the way back you are looking at a minimum 300-400 euros charge.
3) Trains from Livorno to Pisa and Lucca are very affordable and you can read all about using them on our page here. However, they involve changing two means of transportation just to get from the cruise pier to the train station and carefully planning your train timing when going from Pisa to Lucca and then back. You need to take care not to miss your ship at the end of the day.
4) Taking a local bus to Pisa and Lucca is affordable as well but also involves getting to Livorno train station on your own as that is where the bus stop is and careful studying of bus schedules and timetables.
5) Private tours with local tour guides are easy to book online with Viator, one of the biggest tour providers online. Just be ready to pay over a $100 for a Lucca and Pisa day trip. Private tours are a great option when there's nothing better to offer in port but here this is not the case.
4. Capri ferry
10. Livorno Italy
13. Naples to Capri
16. Messina Sicily
17. Pisa Train
18. Visiting Pompeii
19. Pompeii forum
20. Port of Piraeus
22. Venice vaporetto
23. Venice water bus
24. Livorno map
25. Getting to Zadar
27. Walk Venice
28. Mykonos beach
29. Tourist information Lucca Italy
30. Pomepii homes